Eid ul-Adha festivities

Muslims all around the world celebrated Eid-ul-Adha on the 27 November 2009. I thought that I would share some of how we celebrated this particular Eid this year. Eid-ul-Adha is really to mark the end of the holy Haj, which is a compulsory 5 day pilgrimage to Mecca for those who can afford it. For those of us not on Haj, it is strongly recommended to commemorate the day by following the ritual of the prophet Abraham and his son Ismail, a Qurban and spend the day with family and friends.

The day started early with the Eid service starting at 6am. It is the only prayer where it is recommended to be performed outside. We joined a large gathering on a field for the service and the prayer. We were fortunate to have beautiful weather. The service lasted about an hour or so and we were home by 7:30am. We had a quick breakfast and made our way to a farm so that we could participate in following the ritual of Abraham and his son.

As we drove up to the farm, we realized what we had been missing for the last few years. There were about 5 of these farms on the road we were driving on, and all of them were packed with families all with the same purpose. With all the people there still dressed for mosque, it created a community atmosphere which we were glad to be part of. We even ran into old neighbours of ours and had some time to catch up. The farm that we had chosen was quite well organized under the circumstances. We were there all of 2 hours, but in the end we were satisfied with the help we received. My family had decided to have all the meat donated to charity.

After returning home, I completed the final touches on the food I had cooked the entire day before and we were ready for a big feast! I had prepared a traditional meal, a meat breyani, which is my grandmother’s recipe. Please look out for this as a future challenge. We had a few visitors before lunch, but still managed to serve on time. I was eager to taste the food as it was the first time I had made it and it is such a traditional dish, I did not want to mess it up. I am happy to say that it was a huge success and we all ate very well.

After lunch we rested for about an hour or so and then got dressed up to visit some family. It is a family tradition to have dinner at my gran’s house. She was very impressed that I had successfully made one of her recipes!

All in all a wonderful family day.


Comments are closed.